It is completely normal to experience some discomfort and swelling after the surgery to extract a tooth. Please adhere to the following instructions to ensure the healing process.
Immediately following your Surgery :
- Use clean gauze every half hour for 1-2 hours and maintain firm pressure.
- Keep your head elevated.
- Apply ice on the cheek at regular intervals (20 minutes every hour).
- If you are bleeding, bite into a gauze for 20 minutes.
- Do not eat anything until the bleeding has completely stopped.
- Do not eat hard foods. Only eat soft foods or warm liquids on the day of the extraction.
- Avoid drinking through a straw.
- Do not dislodge the blood clot that has formed in the tooth socket because it is necessary for healing.
- Blood-tinged saliva is a normal postoperative effect. Do not rinse your mouth or spit.
- Limit your physical activity.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol.
- Avoid brushing your teeth near the extraction site for the first 72 hours.
- If you are experiencing some pain, take the medication that has been prescribed to you.
- If you were prescribed antibiotics for this treatment, continue taking the medication until it is gone, even if the side effects of your surgery have diminished.
The days following your Surgery until healing:
- Rinse your mouth three times a day with warm water and salt (1/2 tsp of salt in1 cup of water)
- Brush and floss every day to remove plaque and ensure better results in the long term.
- Resume your usual diet as soon as you are able.
- Avoid chewing hard foods (nuts, candies, ice).
- You may experience pronunciation difficulties and an increased amount of saliva due to the changes in your mouth. Everything should be back to normal within a week.
- Bruising may appear on the skin. It will disappear after 5-7 days.
- You may have difficulty opening your mouth due to jaw soreness. It should be back to normal after 4-5 days.
After a few days, you will feel better and be able to resume your normal activities. If you are still bleeding heavily, feeling pain, or experiencing swelling after two or three days, or if you are having a reaction to any medication, call us at 757-340-8805.